
Pakistan
Over 100 houses torched in Jacobabad after dispute over free-will marriage
JACOBABAD: More than 100 houses were set ablaze in Sindh’s Jacobabad district following a violent clash triggered by a dispute over a free-will marriage between individuals belonging to different communities.
According to reports, Sidra from the Channa community married Muhammad Hassan Buriro of the Buriro community by choice, triggering tensions between the two groups.
The couple, in a video statement, appealed to the government for justice, saying they solemnised their marriage in a Hyderabad court on May 4. They alleged that after the marriage they faced threats and accusations.
Residents said armed men attacked an entire village belonging to the Buriro community, opened fire and torched homes, reducing property and valuables to ashes.
Families affected by the attack have been left homeless and are now living in the open.
Police registered a case against 32 suspects and arrested five people in connection with the incident.
The FIR was lodged at Mirpur Buriro Police Station on the complaint of Ghulam Shabbir Buriro against multiple accused, including Mohsin Ali Channa, Saddam Hussain Channa, Abdullah Channa, Muhammad Rafiq Bhatti, Jehangir, Munir Ahmed and Kaleemullah Brohi.
Senior Superintendent of Police Faizan Ali said the case had been registered under the Anti-Terrorism Act and raids were underway to arrest the remaining suspects.
Speaking to Geo News, the groom’s father Malhar Buriro alleged that around 400 armed men led by Saddam Buriro and tribal leader Ahmed Ali Channa carried out the attack while villagers remained helpless due to heavy gunfire.
On the other hand, Channa denied involvement in the arson and claimed that a minor girl had been abducted from their village. He said the matter would be pursued legally through the courts.
A video statement from the girl’s father also surfaced, in which he alleged that his 14-year-old daughter had been married in violation of the Sindh Child Marriage Restraint Act.
Read More: Rana Sanaullah says proposal to lower election contest age under consideration
He further claimed that both his 14-year-old and four-year-old daughters had been abducted and had not yet been recovered despite a police case being registered.
Meanwhile, Syed Murad Ali Shah took serious notice of the incident and directed police to take strict action against all those involved.
The chief minister instructed the Larkana commissioner to provide immediate relief and assistance to the affected families and sought a detailed report from the commissioner and DIG Larkana Division.
Calling the burning of over 100 homes an “inhuman and intolerable act”, Murad said no one would be allowed to play with the lives and property of innocent citizens and vowed that all perpetrators would be brought to justice.






