Skip to main content
Board of Peace
Global

Trump says $7bn pledged for Gaza reconstruction fund at Board of Peace meeting

US president praises PM Shehbaz, Field Marshal Munir as leaders join inaugural Washington session
Published: Feb 19, 2026 | 10:16 PM

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump told the first meeting of his Board of Peace on Thursday that more than $7 billion has been contributed as an initial down payment toward a Gaza reconstruction fund aimed at rebuilding the war-torn enclave.

Speaking in Washington, Trump announced that the United States would also make a separate $10 billion contribution to the Board of Peace initiative. He named several contributing countries, including Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, the UAE, Morocco, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan and Kuwait.

Trump said it would not be necessary to send soldiers to fight in Gaza, adding that FIFA would raise $75 million for football-related projects, while the United Nations would provide $2 billion in humanitarian assistance.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif attended the inaugural meeting alongside other world leaders. During his remarks, Trump praised the Pakistani premier, saying: “I like this man of Pakistan,” and also lauded Chief of Defence Forces and Army Chief Field Marshal Asim Munir as a “tough serious fighter.”

The US president recalled last year’s Pakistan–India conflict, claiming his intervention helped broker the ceasefire that ended hostilities on May 10 after nearly 87 hours of fighting. Trump revised the tally of downed aircraft during the clashes, stating that “11 very expensive planes” were shot down.

Read More: Pakistan, US launch strategic economic initiative for Roosevelt Hotel redevelopment

The Board of Peace meeting comes amid wider diplomatic tensions in the region, including US pressure on Iran over its nuclear programme. Trump said a meaningful deal with Tehran must be reached within the next 10 days.

Pakistan has expressed support for international peace efforts in Gaza but is seeking firm assurances from Washington before committing troops to any proposed International Stabilisation Force. Islamabad has made clear that any deployment would strictly be for peacekeeping and reconstruction support, not for disarming Hamas.

Trump’s Gaza plan envisions a multinational force from Muslim nations to oversee a transition period for rebuilding and recovery, though analysts note some countries remain cautious, fearing the Board of Peace could undermine the United Nations’ traditional role in global conflict resolution.

Leave a Reply